A life hack is a strategy, technique, trick or shortcut that can help make life easier – by speeding up efficiency, enhancing productivity and sometimes minimizing a source of annoyance with a quick trick.
In this compilation, we want to share with you our favorite technology life hacks. You might know some of them, especially when it comes to keyboard shortcuts and handy online tools and websites, but it doesn’t hurt to know more of them.
- How to KNOW if someone that has turned off his/her read receipts is online or not on Whatsapp Send him/her a voice message and just have a look on those 2 ticks , if they become blue then he/she is online.
- To quickly change the case (upper vs. lower) of text in Microsoft Word, highlight the phrase, then hit Shift + F3. Changes cycle through all lowercase, first letter capitalized, and all in uppercase.
- To re-open an accidentally closed browser tab, use Ctrl / Cmd + Shift + T.
- Want to charge your phone faster? Put it in Airplane Mode.
- If you save your Powerpoint presentation in .PPS instead of .PPT, your file goes into slideshow mode when you open it.
- Run your writing or document past PolishMyWriting.comto clear typos, grammar mistakes and get help with writing styles.
- Have many files stored in various cloud storage services? For an easy and secure way to manage all of them from the same spot, use Otixo.com.
- Hitting the Spacebar scrolls down a web page; hitting the Spacebar + Shiftlets you scroll back up.
- Want to quickly mute your phone while it is ringing? Press the volume down button to quickly mute the ringer.
- The best background music to work to with minimal disruption is video game soundtracks.
- For an equal split of sound of your tunes when sharing your headphones with a friend, turn on the Mono audio option on your phone.
- Saving an Excel file as an .XLSB will shrink the size by half or 75%.
- Someone’s incessant morning alarm is going off but the owner is refusing to get up and turn it off? Call the phone to turn it off for them.
- If your printer is out of black ink, change the font color to #010101 for 99% grey.
- The Bohemian Rhapsody is the perfect music piece to test headphones and speakers to because of the range of highs and lows.
- Want a quick way to turn part of a YouTube video into a GIF? Add “GIF” after “www.” and before “youtube” in the URL of the video .(Related: MoreYouTube tricks)
- To paste copied text without the formatting, use Cmd / Ctrl + Shift + V.
- In Chrome, click Cmd / Ctrl + Shift + Del to quickly access the “Clear Browsing Data” Window.
- The easiest way to crank up your smartphone’s speaker volume is putting it in an empty cup.
- Send notes that will self-destruct after it is read or after a specific number of days, via privnote.com.
- To delete files or folders quickly without dragging it to the trash bin, just use Shift + Del .
- Have a lot of tabs open on Chrome? Use Cmd + 1, 2, 3 to go to specific tabs based on their position, or use Cmd + Tab to just cycle through the tabs.
- Tap on K to pause a Youtube video, no matter where you click last in the same page.
- To scroll sideways or horizontally on a web page, press down on Shift then scroll on your mouse.
- Pressing down on Cmd then scrolling on your mouse, zooms in or out of the web page you’re on.
- Click on a link with your mouse’s scroll button to open it in another browser tab.
- Have a lot of tabs open? Click on a browser tab with your mouse’s scroll button to quickly close tabs you don’t need
- In Excel, to highlight the whole row (horizontal) use Shift + Spacebar, and to highlight the whole column (vertical), use Control + Spacebar.
- The Youtube Audio Library has music you can download and put into any of your YouTube videos. (Related: 20 Websites To Download Creative Commons Music For Free)
- Stay ahead of important dates like game, movie and album releases, major events and more with the help of Forekast.
- To make sure someone isn’t giving you a fake number, read the number back to them incorrectly and see if they correct you. If they do correct you, then it’s the right number.
- For quick dictionary meanings, google “define: [your search term]”.
- Learned a new word but not sure how to use it? Google the word then refine the search results to “News” to see the word in practical use.
- To download a YouTube video, insert “ss”, after www. and before youtube.com.
- Use has:attachment in Gmail search to list all emails that have attachments.
- To get the time and weather of a city, just google “[location] time” or “[location] weather”. Example “LA time” or “LA Weather“.
- Do Nothing for 2 Minutes is a website that wants you to do nothing except stay calm, and listen to their wave music for 2 minutes.
- You can take a snapshot of video you are watching via VLC Media Player. Hit Shift + S on Windows, or Cmd + Alt + S on OS X.
Know of more technology life hacks you want to share with us? Tell us in the comments section. 🙂